Monday, September 3, 2012

In Sickness and in Sickness?

Well this weekend has been quite an event for Chris and I. Chris had off work on saturday and sunday which is unusual for him, and I opened saturday and had off sunday so for us this was an actual weekend off work which should have been exciting but was the complete opposite. The first thing you should know is I secretly bought Chris tickets to the Auburn game at the Georgia Dome for saturday night since we are both Auburn fans but have never been to a game together. Oh and these tickets had a hefty price tag of $300!

Well Friday Chris called on his way home from work  with the bad news. He had the stomach flu.  He had not been feeling quite right all day and right before coming home it all started. The poor guy was getting sick every 15 to 30 minutes. So he headed home to take a nap.

While he was sick I wasn't feeling really good either. My stomach had been bothering me for two days prior to his call but I just passed it off as being just another episode of mine. I didn't really want to even get out of bed but I made myself go over and take care of Chris since he was all alone. I picked up some gatorade and sprite and headed over to him.

He wasn't sick anymore while I was there and when he woke up the next day he felt good again. I was feeling worse when I woke up and called out of work to be told I had to come in for a meeting in the afternoon. Damn. So I headed into work and as soon as the meeting ended I headed back home feeling worse and worse as the time passed. I decided not to go to the game with Chris since I wanted him to enjoy it and not have to worry about me the whole time. So he decided to go with a friend while I rested all day.

He didn't get home from the game until around 11:30 and by that time we both just fell asleep. The next morning I woke up to my lymph nodes the size of golf balls. It was so uncomfortable and my throat was hurting now. Long story short after eating some lunch and watching a movie we decided to go to the doctor. Well I was told I had strep throat. YAY! seriously? What luck we have. So the weekend we looked forward to went to crap. HA.

Another thing that others may not understand is that Chris and I are ALWAYS sick. There is never really a time when one of us isn't sick. With his type 1 diabetes and my celiac disease and weakened immune system we are such a great pair. I am easily contaminated by things I eat if they contain any type of gluten which may sound easy to deal with but is NOT. When I say containing gluten I mean even a crumb of wheat would make me sick for a week. And his Diabetes is not easily controlled and he often feels exactly how I do. Nauseous with a side of migraine.

This isn't really a pity party because we get through this everyday together and some days are better than others. But our circumstances often have me thinking if at our wedding when we are supposed to say " in sickness and in health" if we should just go ahead and say " in sickness and in sickness." Marriage to us means accepting and understanding a person and loving them regardless. Well that's how we feel everyday. I'm sure Chris gets irritated having to drive 30-40 minutes every time we want to go out to eat so we can go somewhere that handles my allergy properly. Which are not a lot of places in the area. We only have a few options. But every time I ask him if he would be happier marrying someone who could eat anywhere and eat anything his response is always something along the lines of " hell no." And whenever I am feeling up to par and ready to go out and do something those are the days he feels sluggish and can't control his numbers. I think we have a mutual understanding that our diseases are easily understood and accepted by the other and neither of us would change that. I respect Chris for handling my disease the way he does. A lot of the times he handles it better than I do always thinking and responding to things that could make me ill. This is what makes Chris my best friend and soul mate. He has seen me at my best and worst and still loves me. And I feel the same about him.

People ask me if you know when you meet the man you are going to marry. My answer to them is yes and no. There were people before him that I thought I would marry or could see myself marrying. But by the time Chris and I went on our second date I knew that he was the one I was going to end up marrying.

2 comments:

  1. Even though this post was all about being sick..I thought it was very sweet! I'm not sure exactly why but I found myself getting a little teary eyed. Your stories you share are sweet. Don't stop with the blog :)

    ReplyDelete